[RP TownTalk] Street sweeping

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 13:05:03 UTC 2009

and from their press release on the occassion of Lady Bird's death a
couple years back:

STAMFORD, Conn. - July 12, 2007 - Keep America Beautiful, Inc. was
saddened yesterday by news of the passing of former  first lady, Lady
Bird Johnson.

While Keep America Beautiful, Inc. was originally founded in 1953,
Lady Bird's tireless advocacy for the organization throughout the
1960s brought national attention to the organization's mission to
bring natural beauty to America's public spaces. As first lady, she
was instrumental in convening the White House Conference on Natural
Beauty in 1965, and afterward championed the findings through her
public support of the Keep America Beautiful organization.

"Lady Bird Johnson always believed that natural beauty was much more
than cosmetics," said Keep America Beautiful President G. Raymond
Empson. "She understood, and helped others to understand, that
beautification efforts have a larger ripple effect throughout all of
society."

Indeed, recent studies at the University of Illinois and the Wharton
School of Business have proven that beautification efforts - planting
trees and flowers in public spaces and removing signs of blight such
as litter and graffiti -   increase property values, decrease crime,
improve public health, and even improve student performance. Lady Bird
Johnson understood this important dynamic of "greening" a community
well before her time.