[RP TownTalk] Fwd: Posting Suggestion

CHRISTINA DAVIS book-smart at verizon.net
Mon Apr 26 17:27:09 UTC 2010

This is has been an interesting if not totally comfortable discussion to
follow.

Recently I have been pulling together RP's historical documents to send to
the Fred DeMarr Library and found again the 1920 Census, the year of the
town's incorporation. The census showed that the townspeople where almost
all White, one Asian man was a servant for the family at Riversdale at the
time, and a few Black families were scattered around.

Many families were identified as German, and from what I know of the history
of those families, many were recently arrived to the country. On every
street were households with more than one generation in them, with
grandparents, parents and children, extended family members with additional
children, roomers, servants, and such. What my grandmother tells me about
Hyattsville in the 1920s and 1930s, and my grandfather tells me of Riverdale
Heights at that time, it was the same there as well. And life was not always
comfortable: my grandmother's oldest sister Edith, living in Hyattsville
Hills, was married to a first-generation German American photographer who
had to give up his cameras, and livelihood, during WWII because of his
ancestry.

1920 marked the beginning of a growth spurt in the town, with many of the
founders' families leaving home and building or buying their own places
nearby as the decade went on.

In the 1990s, Washingtonian Magazine used the 1990 Census data to show how
the town was almost statistically even in its balance of races and cultures.

Today, the crowding seems more prevalent and problematic because of the
economic downturn, the fact that the new arrivals to America are more shy
and distrusting, and the stakes are seemingly higher. In the past, the town
found ways to solve the issues of public safety, heavy use of services,
school crowding, and differences in yard maintenance styles. Perhaps someone
currently in office can share how Riverdale Park is managing these issues in
these tough times.

Chris Davis