[RP TownTalk] Change of subject: grass height

Sharon Scott sscott7100 at msn.com
Wed Aug 18 03:36:29 UTC 2010

About 10 days ago I received a warning citation from town code enforcement saying that my grass was too high and that I had one week to remedy the situation or be fined $200 plus cost of doing the work.  Just to check with the general opinions of any who are interested:  I have a yard of zoysia grass, which fortunately grows very slowly.  Being a senior citizen, I pay to have it cut every two weeks, which is often enough to keep it quite short and neat.  It is never higher than about 3.5 inches.  However, due to the heat, drought, and water restriction, all of  the regular old grass in the area between the sidewalk and the street has died, and some weeds have replaced a lot of it.  These weeds were, in some places, though not all over,  probably 6-7 inches high when I was cited.  The next day my yard person came and mowed everything, so no fine.  Is this the sort of policy that others are comfortable with?  I guess I naively assumed that the whole height of grass issue would never apply to me, so was taken by surprise to find it so firmly enforced, even for occasional small patches of weeds.  I have put weed killer on them all now, so hope I will not have to get a trimmer to use between mowings!
What is the experience of others with this new policy?
Generally Tidy Homeowner