[RP TownTalk] This list is in "moderated status" until...

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 04:42:36 UTC 2010

This list is in "moderated status" until... we can demonstrate we're
ready to play well with others.

I hate doing this. It means I have to check the site regularly and
pass judgment on each and every message before it gets posted to the
list.

For your reference, here's the Prime Directive from the TownTalk guidelines:

Promoting a Civilized Environment

We find a list works best when everyone treats everyone else with
respect. Below are some guidelines designed to make TownTalk a safe
environment for discussing difficult issues.

   1. Posters may not attack other list members for their choices or
opinions, although they may suggest that certain opinions are worth
evaluating or that there may be other points of view. We don't flame
here - we respect the opinions of our fellow citizens. Because respect
doesn't always mean saying "I agree", it's important to phrase
challenges in such a way that it is clear that it is not the worth of
the writer you are questioning, but rather the validity of the idea.
What is a flame? It is important to recognize that to disagree
respectfully, or to politely request a change of behavior, is not to
"flame".

      Examples:

      NOT acceptable: "I can't believe you think that! No right
thinking person could possibly believe something so stupid."

      Acceptable: "I have a different perspective on this. My family
actually enjoys eating hockey pucks."

      NOT acceptable: "Listen you jerk - how can you be so stupid and
listen to the idiots want a hockeypuckgarden?!? If you'd bothered to
read up on hockeypuck gardens, you would never be arguing in favor of
such stupid things."

      Acceptable: "What has led you to believe that people who live in
Riverdale Park want a hockeypuckgarden? When I lived in Hockey Town,
we had a hockeypuckgarden for one year, but no one maintained it and
it looked horrible. I think a hockeypuckgarden is a bad idea."

      TownTalk will be a much more effective resource for all of us if
we endeavor to keep it flame-free, and to avoid personal attacks.

===
Dwight Holmes
Riverdale Rd.
Volunteer TownTalk Moderator