[RP TownTalk] burglary in Ward 2

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 20:25:55 UTC 2010

> Locks are important too. Being from a big
> city. get large and conspicuous locks visible from the street if possible.
> There are inexpensive products available to make things look fortified.

Here's what I've learned about locks, based on our break in.

If they really want in, the Biggest Lock in the World isn't going to
stop them. We have deadbolts on both our doors that need a key to
unlock them from both the inside and the outside.

The burglar's solution? Kick through the door and the door frame,
ripping both from the wall. Both our deadbolts were still engaged. The
frame was a shredded mess, and the door is splintered out. But that
lock is still engaged.

What I've learned from this is that if they really want in, it just
doesn't matter what you do.

I think The Most Important Thing is for us to watch closely and really
truly report anything suspicious as soon as we see it. THAT can make a
difference.

And I love the idea of a camera - if you can get to it fast enough.
Call the police, and then grab your camera and take a picture. In that
order.

By the way, you will get a faster response if you call the police
directly at 301-927-4343. (If you call 911, they have to transfer you
to the Riverdale Park Police, and that can take a few minutes.)

-Sarah

--
Sarah Wayland
sarah.wayland at gmail.com