[RP TownTalk] Major Winter Storm Alert

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 22:52:10 UTC 2010

 *Friends and neighbors,*

*Please be advised that we are expecting a major snow beginning tomorrow
midday and continuing through until Saturday night.  We will work diligently
to get all roads cleared as soon as possible, but the forecast is for 18-24
inches. This is substantially more than a normal snowfall and will* *at a
minimum* *require several days to clear.  *

*Public Works reminds us all that: *

*Residents Are Required to:
*

• *Whenever possible, move parked cars off the street so that snow plows can
remove the snow from

the street from curb to curb.
*

• *If off-street parking is not available, park on the even side of the
street.
*

• *Be patient during any snow emergency as crews work around the clock to
clear the streets.
*

• *Clear the sidewalks in front of residence and refrain from depositing
snow back on to the roadway

(this can potentially cause an accident.
*

The DPW’s goals are to plow, salt and clear every street in town. However
there will be

times (during the height of the upcoming storm) when our priorities will be
to assure that

the primary streets that are used by mass transit and vendors are passable
to assure the

safe transport of people and goods throughout the town.

Primary streets include Queensbury Road, Riverdale Road, Lafayette Avenue,
Taylor Road,

48th and 49th Avenues, 54th Avenue, and Jefferson Street, as well as bridges
and hilly

areas. The next priorities are secondary streets that intersect with primary
streets, followed by residential

streets.
*

To report emergency situations call 1-240-237-5104.
*Best wishes,

Vernon Archer, Mayor
Town of Riverdale Park, Maryland