[RP TownTalk] question

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 22:15:30 UTC 2010

Hi Audrey,

You are right, the poles are improvements that will support nets to contain
soccer balls.  The field is increasingly used as a soccer field and in
particular the balls that overshoot the goal on the east side are causing a
problem with the residence there.  While we are at it we are putting up
poles for nets on the west side to keep the balls off of the street.  The
nets are removable and will be put up when practice/games are going on and
then taken down afterwards.

Along a similar line, one of the major new users is the Ipalteco Ausentes
group, immigrants from our sister city Ipala, who have pledged to: 1)
maintain and improve the field (they do the work we supply only
seed/fertilizer/etc); 2) police the grounds for litter (so it doesn't all
fall on Emily and Dell who have been so wonderful and picked up so much
trash in that area); and 3) provide coaches for the Boys and Girls club
soccer team (apparently for several years we have had a major interest among
the kids in joining in soccer, but we have been unable to land a coach).

I believe we have a win,win,win situation going on here for the town, soccer
fans and neighborhood. Only time will tell for certain, but I am very
encouraged so far by the work I've seen done on the field, and the
improvement in the litter pickup.  Emily though is probably the best judge
of that.

Best wishes,

Vern

--