[RP TownTalk] SHA replies re Queensbury-Rt 1 traffic woes

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 22:27:34 UTC 2010

Friends & neighbors-
I wanted to share the below response I received from the State Highway
Admin. re my letter to them describing the perpetual traffic snafu at the
Queensbury-Rt 1 intersection.  In short they are promising to do a 60-day
traffic study beginning  in September (when traffic is back to normal levels
(not reduced summer levels), which should in turn result in recommendations
for the best course of action.

I also want to say that RP Police Chief Chambers has spoken with me about
the issue as well, and it is clear that the 'powers-that-be' in our towns
are actively working with the SHA to come up with an effective strategy
(combining law enforcement and structural changes to the intersections in
question (Queensbury as well as 410, since these two dysfunctional
intersections are obviously inextricably related (shall we say
'codependent'?!?)

I'm sure I speak for many of us when I wish them all the best for a speedy &
successful outcome in this challenging endeavor!

===
Dear Mr. Holmes:

Thank you for your email regarding traffic and safety concerns at the
subject intersection in Prince George’s County.  The State Highway
Administration (SHA) appreciates the opportunity to assist you in this
matter.

In view of your comments, the SHA’s District 3 traffic engineering staff
will evaluate this matter to determine the best possible recommendation for
safety measures at this location.  This type of evaluation usually takes
sixty (60) days to complete, however, in order to get an accurate count of
traffic we will wait until September to begin the evaluation.   Waiting
until September allows us to include school traffic and traffic that has
diminished due to citizens taking vacations. We will share the findings with
you as soon as they become available.

Thank you again for your email.  If you have any further questions, please
do not hesitate to contact me or my Team Leader for Traffic, Mr. Peter
Campanides, at 301-513-7335 or 800-749-0737.

Sincerely,

Felecia Murphy

Assistant District Engineer-Traffic