[RP TownTalk] Wind Power options instead of Pepco

Jonathan W. Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Sat Jun 12 14:29:34 UTC 2010

I am not sure how many residents know but with the restructuring of the
electric utility industry in 2000 we now have choices beyond Pepco for
energy supply (distribution is still controlled by Pepco).  There are 7
electric residential companies that can supply what Pepco used to have a
monopoly on found here
http://webapp.psc.state.md.us/Intranet/SupplierInfo/supplierResult.cfm

One of them is Clean Currents LLC which allows residents to opt for energy
supplied either 50% or 100% through wind power.  They allow customers to
lock in a fixed rate at either a 1 or 2 year guarantee.  At 50% the 1 Year
is 10.4 cents/kWh and the 2 Year 10.3cents.  At 100% wind power the cost is
10.9cents/kWh for either a 1 or 2 year guaranteed rate.  On my last bill
from Pepco my price/kWh was higher than both of these so I opted for 100%/2
year supply.  I view this as a win/win - I at least get a price that is
competitive (and in this case thanks to rate hikes actually lower) that I
can lock in and guarantee for 2 years, while doing my individual part to
reduce my carbon footprint and use energy through renewable sources.  Better
for my checkbook, better for the environment, and better for our national
security interests.

Clean currents also has a program that will donate $10 per household that
signs up for wind-supplied electricity.
http://www.cleancurrents.com/index.php/Green-Neighborhood-Challenge
Greenbelt got a check for $1200 and so far Hyattsville has 14 households.
Surely we can do better than that!!  Our current national wind power
capacity avoids and estimated 62 million tons of carbon dioxide annually
which is equivalent to taking 10.5 million cars off the road.

I would like to challenge the residents of Riverdale Park to show some
leadership in the DC Metro area to help yourselves out financially through
lower and guaranteed utility rates while providing incentives to our
political leadership to continue supporting renewable energy sources.  I
changed over last night to a 2-year 100% wind-generated power supply
contract - now its your turn.
http://www.cleancurrents.com/purchase-energy.asp

(just for full disclosure I do not work in the energy industry and receive
no financial benefit for your consumer choices - I am just a private citizen
who thinks our current and future national security needs are better served
if we used renewable energy for our power consumption needs)