[RP TownTalk] Daytime Burglaries

Alice Ewen alice.c.ewen at gmail.com
Fri May 7 14:35:45 UTC 2010

Thanks for the reminder Dannielle.

Some of you may recall that we had some burglaries in the spring previously.
In some instances, it was helped by the fact that people accidentally left
doors or windows unlocked. When the weather is nice, people open windows and
forget, or they are home, but in their backyard gardening, and someone slips
in the front. The police will be out on bike patrol more this spring, but
please keep an eye out for your neighbors, and give the police a call if you
see something unusual.

Also, I would caution people to be wary of burglar alarm salespeople going
door to door. They seem to come out every spring too. Please know that such
solicitors have not been granted a license to solicit by the Town, so you
are fully within your right to request that the police come and cite them
for soliciting and get them to suspend their activity. These salespeople
sometimes offer to do free security checks and ask to enter the house. While
the individual *may *be legitimate, the risk is too great that they are not.
I would discourage you from allowing access to your home to anyone.

If you are in the market for a security system, the Police Department can
provide you with guidance on how to select a vendor.

Alice Ewen

--
Alice C. Ewen
Councilwoman, Ward 1