[RP TownTalk] Town Budget

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Mon May 17 19:01:45 UTC 2010

Hi Bruce,
Point of clarification, what your are refering to is item "B" on the final
page of the budget document entitled "Town of Riverdale Park Operating and
Capital Tax Rate" p. 7. Because the money is a for capital expenditure it is
not in the annual operating part of the budget that, I am guessing here, you
were looking in. Also, the money was borrowed and we are now in the process
of paying it off.  There is little money that is sitting in the bank that is
actually free of the original liability.

This was actually part of a larger debt and investment project which
included the addition to town hall.  If we were to not go forward with any
type of community center/bldg. improvement and simply give the money back to
the bank it would give us little if any tax relief because we would continue
to have to make the payment on the remainder of the loan at the agreed upon
payment level. Clearly we would pay the loan off quicker, but still not for
a number of years.

I hope this clarifies things Bruce, and thanks for your interest.

Vern

--
Vernon Archer, Mayor
Town of Riverdale Park, Maryland