[RP TownTalk] Road Anarchy, Queensbury & Rt 1

Jeffrey Yorke yorkedial at gmail.com
Sun May 23 03:11:18 UTC 2010

Los Angeles intersections are plastered with "Don't Block the Box" signs.
Morning radio jocks talk about drivers who block intersections, make fun of
them, and out-of-towners are warned not to get caught in the box. That fever
has also spread east to New York, Washington and other major markets. But
perhaps the most effective enforcement measure is hitting the driver in the
wallet. How about fining guilty intersection blockers $100 or $500 for a
first infraction? That would cure two problems at once: Most drivers with
any sense at all will make sure they don't do that again. So there is little
recidivism. The higher fine rate will, at least for a while, replenish
city/town coffers. The same measure could be applied to other serious
traffic violations such as light-running which plays a huge role in traffic
fatalities.

Any 16-year-old awake and not text messaging though their driver's exam
knows that driving is not a right, it's a privilege.

--
Jeffrey Yorke
Yorke Property Management, Inc.