[RP TownTalk] An education

Lou King lking at knob.com
Tue Nov 2 16:01:52 UTC 2010

In contractual writing the word "shall" is used when there is no option
as in:

§ 202: Qualifications of Council Member
A council member shall be at least 25 years of age and a citizen of the
United States.

By mentally substituting "may" for "shall" in the above article and
thinking about the possibility of a 5 year old council member, the
distinction _may_ be clear.

By contrast making a mental substitution of "shall" for "may" in the
following article put an entirely different slant on our right to vote
on this election day.

§ 503: Registration
Any resident of the town may register to vote at the Board of Election
Supervisors for Prince George's County by mail or whenever the office is
open for business.

Although America's voting record is less than stellar, forced
registration is most likely not the answer - but that is off topic.

Lou
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop HTML mail - www.asciiribbon.org