[RP TownTalk] Off forum emails

kathy galleher kgalleher at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 19:28:03 UTC 2010

Lou
 I can share why I sometimes send off-forum emails (and just for the record, I
haven't sent any to you).  It has to do with my sense of courtesy/politeness.

If someone has shared an opinion in a way that I find offensive or upsetting or
disrespectful or problematic in some way, I will likely send them a note
off-forum.  For me it's better to raise my concern privately, rather than risk a
neighbor feeling publicly embarrassed by my concern or comment being posted in a
place where everyone sees it.  It's not meant to protect my own anonymity when I
do it, just to address a concern in a more direct, but less public way.  To me
this also avoids the escalation that can often happen in the TownTalk forum
(such as the discussion on Dumms a few months ago).
So I think there is value in not sharing all responses in the public forum.
Kathy