[RP TownTalk] purple line

Melissa Avery m.avery at rocketmail.com
Wed Nov 10 03:07:30 UTC 2010

T"he Purple Line would follow the south side of River Road in dedicated lanes
before turning right onto Kenilworth Avenue.

On Kenilworth Avenue, the light rail will follow the west side of Kenilworth
Avenue on an elevated aerial structure. The transitway will cross over the MD
201 / MD 410 intersection and turn left into the small triangle formed by East
West Highway, Kenilworth Avenue and Riverdale Road. An aerial station would be
located here and the site would be ideal for redevelopment as transit oriented
development. "

the purple line will have to have a dedicated   lane added to River Road. this
is proposed to be built on the right hand side of the road, over park land.

It then turns on to Kennelworth. The businesses along Kennelworth will have to
be removed to make room for the train. Also, the triangle of land where the gas
station and sT Bernard's is located will be the metro stop.
So we will lose all those businesses along Kennelworhth  and i nthe Triangle.

Metro also plans to build a sound barrier wall between the train on River Road
and Riverdale Park, standard practice.

also, the radius the train needs to make a right hand turn is about 1/2 a mile.
Whare do you think that trun will be?

I have seen plans for a bridge  that will pass over part of the park land  that
buffers River Road.

they may not have finalized the design yet, but what ever happens, it will
further dissect the town of Riverdale Park and make it even less attractive to
future and present residents.