[RP TownTalk] Fwd: Speed Cameras in College Park

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 15:08:23 UTC 2010

With a real risk of oversimplification - For example, I think it is truly
safety-enhancing to have a speed camera where the bike lane crosses Paint
Branch (or any other major road) since it's evident these things really do
work in getting people to slow down - I would say that the reason these
camera are spreading like monsoon frogs has nothing to do with a desire to
invade our privacy; it's all about the money.  Since "tax" has become a
toxic term in our society, states and towns, in particular, are scrambling
in every way possible to find "new revenue streams", unpolluted with the
toxic tax-word.  Et voilá: red light cameras & speed cameras.