[RP TownTalk] Fwd: Speed Cameras in College Park

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 16:21:56 UTC 2010

> I would say that the reason these
> camera are spreading like monsoon frogs has nothing to do with a desire to
> invade our privacy; it's all about the money.

And safety - the speed limits are on these roads for a reason. Red
lights turn red for a reason. If people are regularly driving 55 mph
in a 35 mph zone, and running red lights, that's not safe. Because our
police can't be everywhere all the time, these cameras help them to
enforce the law.

We could hire more police who could then enforce the laws in person,
but that costs a lot of money. So yes, it is about the money - but I'd
argue that it is in part because it's a cheaper way to enforce the
law.

-Sarah

--
Sarah Wayland