[RP TownTalk] Notice about the park

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 10:05:14 UTC 2010

Todd and interested parties,

MNCPPC has been looking for means to expand/improve its soccer facilities
throughout the north county area for 5 years at least.  They had approached
the town with a formal proposal about 3-3 1/2 years ago to build an
artificial turf field at Riverdale Community Park that was defeated by town
opposition and technical problems.  The same concerns you mention Todd are
the same basic ones that the town as a whole had about the previous proposal
and will have about any new proposal.

Usually the notices to affected parties are all mailed at the same time and
I have yet to check my mail today.  I will get back to you, but the general
flow of the permit process is to notify interested parties (municipalities,
immediate neighbors, effected sports organizations, etc) and then have one
or more public hearing in or around the effected area.  Normally in
Riverdale Park's experience there will be more than one meeting held at town
hall with mailed invites to effected neighbors prior to going to the
planning board for actual approval.

This coming Monday at 7:30 there will be just such a preliminary hearing
about a proposed sale of Town property to MNCPPC (the town is seeking to
create a larger and more functional community building than the existing
Boys and Girls Club building on 51st Street--Todd you are probably
interested in that too) and the proposal to build a dog park in the
vicinity.

It is curious that the soccer field proposal comes up at the same time,
though its hard to see how the three can be related, as the "club house"
proposal is seeking funding under open space funding--meaning no asphalt or
substantial tree removal and of course the dog park idea is probably going
to need to be viewed as a separate and competing use.

In summary, yes Todd there is lots you, your neighbors and the town as a
whole can do to influence and shape the outcome of all proposals and plans
by MNCPPC. I'll get back if more comes up prior to Monday's meeting,
otherwise I look forward to seeing all of you who are interested at Town
Hall 7:30 PM Monday 24.
Best wishes,

Vern

--