[RP TownTalk] CSX crossing temporary closure for construction

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 09:40:14 UTC 2010

Friends and neighbors,

The following information was provided by CSX about the work they are going
to do at the Queensbury Crossing from October 1-10. It certainly looks like
our much anticipated "fixing the crossing", but based on past experience
lets hold our judgement until after the 10th:

The work that we are doing at Queensbury Rd. is comprised of, but not
limited to, the following:

Road closure and removal of old asphalt from existing seams to the tracks
Removal of 80 feet of both tracks through the road (one track at a time)
Installation of 80 feet of new “paneled track” (New ties, rails, fastening
components, etc.)
Surfacing the new tracks with new ballast
Installation of “Heavy Duty Concrete Crossing Material” which are 8’ 1.5”
long concrete sections with rubber flangeway filler
Paving around the concrete to the existing seams
Welding the new rails to the existing rails in track

This type of road crossing renewal is typically reserved for roads with a
high traffic density, both vehicular and train traffic.

--
Vernon Archer, Mayor
Town of Riverdale Park, Maryland