[RP TownTalk] Painting Pictures in RP

gerald at geraldking.com gerald at geraldking.com
Sun Apr 3 23:20:57 UTC 2011

The oldest  student in my Thursday daytime painting class is over 80. One
person comes from Riderwood and another from Georgetown. I think there are
some retired folks right here in the Riverdale who would like to paint
pictures but don’t know about my studio classes.  For many years I have
offered my private studio as a place where those interested in painting
can learn and practice the art of picture making. Whether experienced or a
rank beginner, all are welcome, and all will receive my personal help.

I am concerned that we do not seem to have more local painters exhibiting
in the Riverdale Park Arts Council’s annual Arts Fest. (May 1, 2011)  Is
this a reflection of a lack of interest, lack of confidence in selling
art, or fear of exhibiting one’s talent or skills?  News flash! I’m a
little tired of exhibiting in an open market-been doing it for years often
losing money. I’m no longer lacking in confidence, but still get upset
when someone laughs at my work. The real reason I exhibit is because it’s
enjoyable, often encouraging, and hopefully a contribution to the fine
community of Riverdale Park.

Many times while teaching painting at Prince George’s Comm. College, an
older student would say “I wish I had started painting earlier. I had
talent, but never found the time to develop it- Kids, you know? Job, you
know? No place to work, you know?”  I would reply, “I got it. But, what
about now?”
If you or someone you know would like to paint a picture, give me a call
at 301-779-1488.
 Gerald King