[RP TownTalk] A reminder: TownTalk policy & electioneering

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 09:56:04 UTC 2011

The TownTalk policy that prohibits electioneering is in force at all
times - but now that it is election season, it is a a good time to be
reminded of that. This is not the forum for airing one's views (pro or
con) about incumbents or candidates for town office.  Thank you.

Dwight Holmes
List Moderator

The list policy is always available for reading simply by clicking on
the http://riverdale-park.org/mailman/listinfo/towntalk link which is
in the footer of every TownTalk message.

Electioneering Prohibited

Electioneering is not permitted on e-mail lists supported by the Town
of Riverdale Park.

Promoting a Civilized Environment

We find a list works best when everyone treats everyone else with
respect. Below are some guidelines designed to make TownTalk a safe
environment for discussing difficult issues.

Posters may not attack other list members for their choices or
opinions, although they may suggest that certain opinions are worth
evaluating or that there may be other points of view. We don't flame
here - we respect the opinions of our fellow citizens. Because respect
doesn't always mean saying "I agree", it's important to phrase
challenges in such a way that it is clear that it is not the worth of
the writer you are questioning, but rather the validity of the idea.
What is a flame? It is important to recognize that to disagree
respectfully, or to politely request a change of behavior, is not to
"flame".

Examples:

NOT acceptable: "I can't believe you think that! No right thinking
person could possibly believe something so stupid."

Acceptable: "I have a different perspective on this. My family
actually enjoys eating hockey pucks."

NOT acceptable: "Listen you jerk - how can you be so stupid and listen
to the idiots want a hockeypuckgarden?!? If you'd bothered to read up
on hockeypuck gardens, you would never be arguing in favor of such
stupid things."

Acceptable: "What has led you to believe that people who live in
Riverdale Park want a hockeypuckgarden? When I lived in Hockey Town,
we had a hockeypuckgarden for one year, but no one maintained it and
it looked horrible. I think a hockeypuckgarden is a bad idea."

TownTalk will be a much more effective resource for all of us if we
endeavor to keep it flame-free, and to avoid personal attacks.

Think carefully when you respond to a post about whether you should
"Reply to Sender", or "Reply to All" (which will send your e-mail to
the entire list.)
We recommend including your full name and e-mail address in the last
two lines of each message sent to the list, to make it simpler for
people to communicate privately with you via e-mail.
Remember that people read this list using a very wide variety of
hardware and software, and that some users are limited in their
mailbox space or must pay according to the volume of mail they
receive. As a courtesy, please configure your e-mail software to use
"7-bit" encoding, and avoid sending attachments when possible. E-mail
messages over 50 kilobytes currently require moderator approval.
It is helpful to include part of the message to which you are reacting
in your response, but please don't quote the whole thing. If your
reaction is a simple "I agree", please send that privately.
Please don't post chain letters or warnings about e-mail viruses. For
more information on these and other hoaxes, see
http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html or http://www.snopes.com.

About TownTalk
English (USA)

The TownTalk mailing list is open to all Riverdale Park residents. It
is a way for you to discuss anything you think might be of interest to
other residents or the town's government. Discussions should be polite
and respectful of the opinions of others.

This is expected to be an active list with several messages per week
(perhaps several per day, at times). You can subscribe or drop your
subscription at any time. You can choose not to receive any emails and
still have access to the archives.

We urge you to identify yourself in the name field when registering
for this list. You must identify yourself when posting to the list.

When you REPLY to a message from this list, it will go just to the
sender, not to the whole list. If you want your reply to go to the
whole list you will need to select "Reply to All" or the equivalent in
your e-mail program. Also please change the RE:subject line when your
topic changes.

Personal attacks and profanity are not allowed and will not be
tolerated. We reserve the right to reject or delete any message and to
remove and ban any user from the list. Policies for acceptable use of
this list may change in the future without prior notice.

To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit the
TownTalk Archives.