[RP TownTalk] if you support mixed use development of Cafritz property...

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 12:27:20 UTC 2011

> I don’t think Whole Foods is going to help our Farmer’s Market.  Why would
> anyone come to an empty Town Center to swelter or freeze when they can go to
> Whole Foods and shop in comfort for possibly lower prices?  It’s a no
> brainer.

Well, I buy most of my produce, meat, and baked goods at our local
farmer's market, and do my other shopping at My Organic Market in
College Park. Anything I cannot get at those two places, I supplement
with a trip to the regular grocery store (Giant or Shopper's).

I prefer to shop at the Farmer's Market - it's always my first choice.
I like that I can talk to the farmers about what they have grown or
made themselves. They can guide me to purchase things that fit my
personalized tastes. I also like to support our farmers directly.

There are lots of complicated reasons why people shop where they do.
For me, climate control doesn't matter. For me, cost matters some, but
not as much as access to high quality produce. I like to enjoy what I
eat. And I also like to support local businesses. But those are my
reasons.

Other people have other reasons. You say above that you prefer a
climate controlled store and cheaper prices. Others might want to do
all their shopping in one place. Perhaps others want access to
specialty foods that are only available at Whole Foods.

Starbucks figured out that you can have two outlets of the same exact
store across the street from each other, and both will do a good
business (e.g., in Woodley Park.)  I don't understand exactly how that
works, but it seems that at least part of the equation is that if you
build stores that are attractive to a certain clientele, they search
nearby for similar things that interest them.

I'm not denying that your other claim that the zoning change doesn't
guarantee anything about what will go in on the Cafritz property. But
Whole Foods has *signed a lease*. That's much more than wishful
thinking.

-Sarah

--
Sarah Wayland