[RP TownTalk] Hurricane Preparedness

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 11:08:21 UTC 2011

If anybody remembers Tropical Storm Isabel a few years ago, many parts of town were without power for several days, there were several collapsed power lines in the middle of Route 1; definitely NOT a fun time.  Speaking of which, if you see a downed power line, don't try to mess with it.   As below, have plenty of non-perishable food on hand and a manual can opener.  Try not to stock up on food that needs refrigeration unless you have a generator or some other backup power supply; if you've stocked the fridge and the power goes out, you'll lose all that food.  Let's see, what else? Try not to use candles as a means of lighting your home if you can help it; if you do use candles, keep them away from flammable objects and make sure the kids and pets don't mess around with them.  You can buy camping lanterns at several places in the area such  as Lowes, Target, etc. The one I bought at Target was around $25 and it puts out a lot of light.
 There's smaller lanterns for around $10-$15.    Streams, rivers, etc. in the area will more than likely be running very high and fast with all of the rain that's expected; stay a safe distance from the water.  And of course if you're driving and see standing water, don't try to drive through it.  It only takes a small amount of water to stall or float your car away.  And please make sure you have your pets' needs taken care of; adequate food and other supplies, etc.  Keep them inside during the storm, too.    Goes without saying you should also keep an eye on your neighbors,esp. those who are infirm, elderly, etc.  If the situation gets bad, they might not be able to take care of themselves.

Let's see, we've had the 'quake, the hurricane is coming, has anyone heard when the plague of locusts is due......?

As they used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Let's be careful out there."