[RP TownTalk] Questions about the Trolley Hiker-Biker Trail (inspired by a pleasant Boxing Day stroll)

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 17:13:03 UTC 2011

I took a brief but lovely little walk yesterday afternoon, followed the
future path of the trolley hiker-biker trail from Archie's Barbershop south
to Madison St which is approximately, I believe, the Riverdale
Park-Hyattsville boundary at that point.

One thing became crystal clear: the new cluster of shops & restaurants at
Jefferson & Rt 1 will be a very pleasant walk away when they get the new
streets finished, or the bike trail built - or both, obviously.  You could
walk it now, of course, but it's apt to be a muddy, messy walk traipsing
across the active construction site.

Also noticed a new street name - for the most part they've been using
existing street names there, Jefferson St., 45th Ave., etc.  But the
north-south street that comes out to Madison right at the Chambers Funeral
Home is called Garfield St (or Rd., I'm not sure which). Made me wonder if
there was an old Garfield that had existed there previously?
Alternatively, I thought, maybe they picked the name to mesh with the
Harrison and Cleveland Avenues we have here in RP (spokes of our famous
Dupont Circle!).  That, of course, would lead to the question, what's wrong
with Chester Arthur?? where's his street??

Seriously, though, I've been looking forward to this bike trail being built
since we first moved here, which is more than 5 years ago now.  Many folks
have worked hard to make this happen, and much progress has been made.
We've been told that MNCPPC has it in their budget and workplan to
construct at least a portion of it starting this spring.

And that leads to my question:  What are the current plans for each of the
segments of  the new trail?  The articles on the topic of the trail in our
press have not been clear about this.  As I see it, there are 4 pieces of
the trail, each of which may have a different benefactor? But that's really
my question - who is responsible for each sector, in what way, and what is
the current status of each?

Starting in the south, from Charles Armentrout Rd/Northwest Branch Bike
Trail (@Route 1):

1. Charles Armentrout/NW Branch Bike Trail north to north of
Franklin's/"EYA" Arts District Development property
2. the segment that traverses the "EYA" Arts District Development
3. the Riverdale Park segment from "EYA" Arts District property north to
the Cafritz property
4. the segment that traverses the Cafritz Property (and WMATA property) and
connects to the existing trail in College Park

-Is it true that "EYA" (or whatever it's called now) has a "trigger clause"
which means they won't build the their section of the trail til they sell a
certain percentage of their residential properties?
-does the MNCPPC plan that's supposed to kick in this spring cover only
sector #3, across Riverdale Park? or does it also include the southern
segment #1?

Finally, ending on an historical note, here's some video of the old
Beltsville Trolley line that used this path that ran from DC to
Beltsville.  For those who may have missed it when it first came around, or
have forgotten it and would like to view it again, here's the youtube
link.  Thanks to Rob Oppenheim, Chris Suspect and everyone else who made
this happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-80UDt0I-O8