[RP TownTalk] Stabbing in University Town Center

Bruce Wernek bruce.wernek at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 1 19:34:46 UTC 2011

The reason things are so bad is we no longer have any social standards or
taboos.  When I was young, there were many social standards, which no longer
exist.  These standards were not laws, but something much more powerful and
that is the power of being shunned by society for unacceptable behavior.
These standards were based on respect, honor, and discipline.  Back then it
was yes ma'am and yes sir.  Now I've got some kid 40 years younger than me
saying "hey dude".  I long for those days long ago, but at the time I
thought all of it was pretty corny.

Over the years, social standards have pretty much disappeared.  They've been
replaced by what we call "political correctness", which is basically
established by the government and the media.  In my opinion, political
correctness has no basis other than the  "spin du jour", which is more about
"air time" than ethics, morals, or anything else of substance.  It's so bad
today that people are afraid to voice their opinion if it conflicts with the
"politically correct" viewpoint.  Glenn Beck pretty much says what he thinks
and look at the reaction of liberal media, the politically correct, and
probably some of our readers.  I'm not so much concerned with what he says
as much as how people react.  The politically correct rhetoric is tolerance,
but tolerance definitely doesn't apply to the likes of Glenn Beck, Rush
Limbaugh, etc.

I apologize to our readers for digressing, but I'm trying to make a point.
In a way political correctness is like the social standards of my youth.
The problem is society did not establish these standards, the media and
government did and continues to do so.  Nor does the majority of people in
our country agree with political correctness, but you'd never know it if you
watch the 6 o'clock news.

So here we are complaining about the very thing that we worked so hard to
rid ourselves of for the last ~50 years.  We have sown seeds now we reap the
harvest.

P.S.  I apologize to our young readers who have no idea what I'm talking
about.  The older folks will have to explain it to you.

Bruce