[RP TownTalk] Graffiti

bruce.wernek at mindspring.com bruce.wernek at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 23 11:54:24 UTC 2011

I don't agree with Gerald.  Graffiti is art in it's finest form because the artists get the kind of "reviews" below.  There is no expectation of reward or recognition.  There are no preconceived notions based on mainstream concepts.  The artists just imagine and paint.  It's art simply for the sake of art, pure expression.

Graffiti should not be debased simply because the "canvas" is the side of a railroad car, building, or bridge abutement.  There's going to be vulgarity, but this is more the exception rather than the rule.  The best artists don't need to use vulgarity to get your attention.  After all, that's what graffiti is all about.  Check out this link, reflect, and decide for yourself.  In many ways, these works are a window into who we are because they are painted by people just like us.  From where I stand, if this isn't art, I don't know what is.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=graffiti+pictures&cp=11&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tljp1300878955041020&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cdaJTe2OCYLJgQfy0t26DQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1110&bih=634

P.S. If somebody painted the side of my commerical building with art like this, I'd be gratefull.  It beats the hell out of white cinder block.

Bruce