[RP TownTalk] Graffiti continued

Marc Molino mmolino54 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 23 13:42:08 UTC 2011

What fascinates me about this discussion is that the only person who called this particular piece of vandalism "art" was Gerald, so that he could make his point about it not deserving of being called "art." Taking a marker or a can of spray paint and applying it to public or private property does not take talent, but there are talented artists who do it. Seems like there are two separate issues here:

1) Is it legal? That's the easiest answer: No. But I don't personally know any children who believe this is legal or schools who are encouraging this sort of thing. In fact, we keep cutting the funds for every sort of creative outlet our children have: art, music, physical education, etc.

2) Is it art? A question which has and will be debated for as long as humans make creations. If Gerald or any other of our fine local artists decided to use a public wall (without permission) as their canvas, it would still be art or of high quality, it just wouldn't be legal (nor necessarily welcome by everyone). Given already blighted or trashed areas, illegal art can sometimes improve certain areas. School playgrounds... maybe not so much.

Nice to see such a civil-but-spirited discussion here and kudos to the town for taking care of the vandalism so quickly.

-Marc Molino