[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 56, Issue 18

Brian Boettger brian_boettger at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 25 18:06:55 UTC 2011

I think what is being debated is 2 different things. Graffiti and graffiti art.
There have been artists that made millions from graffiti. Jean Michel Basquiat is the first that comes to mind.
...and it is usually the act of making the graffiti that is part of the art, not just the finish piece of art. Graffiti is probably the truest form of expressionism and at the root 'art'. You don't have to like it, but it is art. I'm sure if someone painted something equating to the Mona Lisa on a wall in the middle of the night it would be a different story.
However, I'm sure we might agree that a random vulgarity is not desirable and should be removed, but to not call it art is disingenuine to the concept.
Brian Boettger