[RP TownTalk] Critical Issue PLEASE READ

Jonathan W. Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Tue Nov 8 12:48:05 UTC 2011

Bruce -

Thank you for giving attention to an issue that is very important to me.  As
many of you have noticed I have taken every opportunity to keep the Dumm's
issue forefront and center.  I regularly include this in my ward and
committee reports and additionally speak to the Spiropoulos family, their
attorney, and Park and Planning on a weekly basis.  As many of you are aware
however, the wheels of government can, at times, be slow.

I would like to add my two cents to part of the history of this discussion.
It is important to note that Park and Planning representation sits on the
M-U-TC committee and was there when we approved the original plan many
months ago.  This was done without objection and without triggering the
Special Permit process.  The Spiropoulos application represented how
development in the M-U-TC zone is supposed to work;  they adhered to the
spirit and intent of the zoning and worked with the committee to address any
and all design considerations and their application moved forward smoothly.

There was a glitch in the system though.  There was a re-interpretation of
the "Allowed Use" table on page 73.  There are two line items:  one is
permitted - food or beverage store excluding liquor stores; the other -
liquor stores, requires a special permit.  After the fact, liquor store was
interpreted to mean 'any store that sold any type of liquor.'   The original
interpretation had been that the liquor store provision only triggered in if
'hard alcohol' was being sold on-site which with the Spiropoulos' beer and
wine license this was not the fact.  Although we cannot control the "loose
vs. strict constructionism" of the M-U-TC allowable use, we can deal with
the aftermath.

The Town Council is highly supportive of this project and the town staff has
been working directly with Park and Planning to ensure a smooth hearing
process.  Unfortunately due to the mandatory 30-day wait periods there is
little anyone can do to expedite this process.  The town, the Spiropoulos'
legal counsel, and the Spiropoulos family have all been assured by Park and
Planning that there should not be any issues with the application.  If there
is any good out of any of this, the County has recognized the quagmire it
has created with the approvals and is using this example specifically to
attempt to find a path forward to streamline future applications.

Two weeks prior to the hearing, Park and Planning will issue a staff report
which will indicate either 'approval' or 'approval with conditions.'  Our
town staff, the town council, and the M-U-TC committee all plan to have
representation to speak highly in favor of the Spiropoulos' application.  We
strongly encourage all residents to not only stop by and sign the petition
in favor of the application, but also patronize one of the town's
cornerstone properties.

Best,

Jonathan

Jonathan W. Ebbeler - Councilman - Ward 1