[RP TownTalk] Broken window -- Does it make a difference whose window?

Chris Currie crcurrie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 14:48:33 UTC 2011

Sue raises an interesting point that I've long ruminated upon.  I can't
speak to Riverdale Park, but in Hyattsville and in every level of County
code and permitting agency I've ever dealt with, it's been my experience
that it makes a big difference whether the issue in question involves how
you make a living or it's simply where you live.  Landlords, contractors,
commercial property owners nearly always get cut more slack in dealing with
code enforcement or permit review staff than do residents/homeowners.

I don't think it's because "money talks" -- or, at least, because cash is
being slipped under the table.  I've never had any evidence that any money
is changing hands illictly.

Here are my own theories as to why this might be the case:

1.  Government personnel feel commercial entities have more at stake than
homeowners, and thus are more willing to be flexible with them.

2.  There is a certain rapport of professionals dealing with professionals
that you don't have when the other party is a private homeowner.

3.  Often the government personnel at one time worked for commercial
enterprises in the same field (e.g., for construction firms), so there's a
natural sympathy for the challenges they face.

4.  Typically, government personnel have to deal with the commercial players
over and over, whereas the residential interaction is often a one-off
transaction.  Thus, there is a natural tendency to want to maintain a good
working relationship -- and that leads to more flexibility.

5.  Commercial parties can bite back harder than homeowners can -- whether
through lawsuits (or stonewalling in the courts), involving an elected
official who receives their campaign contributions, or simply by raising a
ruckus in interpersonal interactions (homeowners are usually more afraid and
intimidated by government enforcers).

Does anyone else have other explanations, or perhaps challenge my premise?

Chris Currie
Hyattsville