[RP TownTalk] Cafritz zoning request

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 13:21:12 UTC 2011

Friends and neighbors,

Because my monthly Crier report is again about the Cafritz development and
the development is now becoming more time sensitive I am presenting it
below for your information.

Please be sure to visit the town web site (see below) as there are
significant new pieces of information posted.

Best wishes,

Vern

Mayor’s Report

By Vernon Archer

The Cafritz proposal to develop the very northeastern most point in town is
moving into a very significant new stage during the months of November and
December.  I know that many of you have been following this closely and
know that the development will need to be given new zoning in order to
build the Whole Foods grocery, other commercial spaces, town houses, and
apartments they desire.  The proposal will receive a hearing before the
M-NCPPC Planning Board, tentatively scheduled for December 15.

This is one of the two major steps in getting a zoning change, with the
final step coming when the proposal will be acted upon by the County
Council acting as District (Zoning) Council. As the real power in this
matter rests at the county level, we at the municipal level have been
wrestling with how best to influence the process in a way that is most
beneficial to Riverdale Park as a whole. It has been my position from early
in the process that the way to maximize our influence over the final
outcome and have the county back our position, is to work constructively
with neighboring municipalities as well as the developer.

Ultimately our power will largely rest in the written testimony the Town
Government will present to the Planning Board and ultimately the District
Council.  Over the next month we have scheduled several meetings that will
see our ultimate positions crafted by the Town Council with significant
input from the Mixed Use/Town Center (MUTC) Committee and a professional
planning firm that the town has contracted with to advise us.

Important meetings:

 ·         October 31, 2011 at 8:00 p.m. – Council meeting at Town Hall.
Town’s planning contractor will present his report on the project and a
highlight overview.

·         November 2 at 7:30 p.m. – MUTC design committee meeting at Town
Hall. Agenda will include review of how the proposed zone change by Cafritz
will affect the existing MUTC zone.

·         November 9 at 8:00 p.m. – Council meeting at Town Hall.  Town
planning contractor will present point by point review of Cafritz proposal
and Council will review all items to create the Town’s testimony for the
Planning Board and District Council.

·         November 28 at 8:00 p.m. – Council Worksession and possible
Special Legislative Session at Town Hall.  This is the final date for the
Council’s position to be considered/included in the M-NCPPC staff report

·         December 5 at 8:00 p.m. – Council meeting at Town Hall.

·         December 15 at 9:00 a.m. – Expected Planning Board hearing date
at County Administration Building.

·         January or February is probable time frame for District Council
to act on the zone change request.

In my report last month I provided a copy of a proposed response to the
Cafrtiz team of concerns and needs the Town has that should be addressed
before the Town can support this project.  Action on that letter by the
council was postponed at the last legislative meeting, though it appears
that most of the council is using this letter as a starting point in
evaluating the issues associated with project.  Also, the Cafritz team has
sent a letter back to the town that suggests a clear willingness to work
with us on the project.  You can find both my proposed letter and the
Cafritz response on the town website at
http://www.riverdaleparkmd.info/cafritz.cfm

One last point to consider in evaluating this proposal is how the project
will financially impact the town.  To date the developer has committed to
reimbursing the town for $25,000 to procure independent professional
services to advise us in all aspects of the project.  We will need more if
this project goes forward, but $25,000 is sufficient to at least get us
through the rezoning issues.

Lastly, Town staff has prepared a report of how this project will
financially impact the town if it is completely built as currently proposed
and Town services and taxes remain at current levels.  The report estimates
that increased Town revenue would exceed new expenditures by $1,260,668 per
year.   This report can also be found on our website at
http://www.riverdaleparkmd.info/cafritz.cfm

--
Vernon Archer, Mayor
Town of Riverdale Park, Maryland