[RP TownTalk] Full disclosure on Cafritz meeting

mrs.ahkelly at gmail.com mrs.ahkelly at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 17:19:09 UTC 2011

Here's what CM Ebbeler has had to say about my original note. For the
record, I'm grateful to him for a careful, considerate discussion. I hope
that he will not object to my sharing that discussion even more widely by
sending it along to this list. (Boy, it's a lot to read, though!)
KK

Hi Kate –

No problem at all. Your concerns are all valid and deserve feedback. We are
a small enough town where this is or at least should be expected of our
elected officials.

You bring up very thoughtful and well-considered points. And just so that
my position on this is known, I do not support in any way the current CSP.
I thought and continue to think that it was a terrible first step. However,
this is a carefully orchestrated dance. They know we are not going to
support the CSP, and we know they will take whatever they can get if we do
not stand up to them.

I have watched the 'just say no' approach in negotiations and it has a very
mixed set of results. This was the primary method employed by Hyattsville
on both EYA and UTC. As Mayor Tartaro communicated at the work session,
there were missteps involved because of how they approached the beginning
stages. Part of why I am taking a different approach is to learn from the
mistakes of others. Developers count on and expect the 'just say no' as
part of their strategy. By removing that part of the dance it effectively
puts them on the defensive and gives the town an upper hand. One major
disadvantage of this, as Tartaro pointed out, is that this is the stage
where towns need to firmly flesh out their positions and get concessions.
We have more negotiating power in the beginning than once the Detailed Site
Plan is filed since at this point we can help shape the conversation vs.
later when hundreds of thousands if not millions have been spent towards a
direction we later decide is not tenable.

An example of this is Joe's plan. The town could vote against the Cafritz
property as mixed use in favor of what Joe proposes only to have this
completely overturned by the Planning Board and the County Council. Our
only recourse would be to sue, assuming we could find some technical
violation of their rules of procedure. This was the similar history of the
National Harbor development. While the case was adjudicated, ultimately the
construction proceeded forward and the opposition won the battle but lost
the war since their concerns over which they sued for were ultimately not
included in the development. I have been pushing Joe's plan with Chip and I
am hopeful that there will be a carve out of 30 or so homes that will
reflect homes that are 'off the grid.' The Cafritz team is open to these
ideas right now because most of what they have on the residential side are
just placeholders. By shaping their development instead of just saying no,
we have a much better shot of getting what we want and need.

You have identified most of the core issues and what keeps us up at night.
To your point though, what you touch on is precisely what I believe we need
to advocate for. On development this large there are bound to be missteps
and I trust the public will be there every step of the way to dot the 'Is'
and cross the 'Ts'. I do not expect that we will win every battle on this
with them, but I do think we will win most.

JWE

Thanks for writing back so quickly. I really am grateful for your
engagement as well.

I guess as just a regular citizen I have the advantage of not having to
breast my cards. I am not against development, despite my objections to
this project. But as I see it, the only point of strength the town might
have in this negotiation is to simply to say no to anything other than a
proposal like Joe Kelly's to take the development in an entirely different
direction. If the county and the developer were to understand that as the
town's position, then it seems the developer might respond with something a
little friendlier to the town and the planet. Our current circumstances
give no guarantee of anything other than something we could have lived
without.

The plans we've seen are just another set of Lego buildings along Route 1.
Could be New Jersey, could be Hyattsville, could be Richmond. I doubt any
plan further along will bury the parking; plant more trees; preserve the
oxygen content in the neighborhood; figure out the storm water problem; use
green-enough design and materials; keep my property taxes where they are;
or build more and better classrooms for the kids already here or create
sustainable, living-wage jobs for their parents.

Seems like we're giving up a lot here for a pretty hazy set of benefits.

Thanks for listening.
KK

Hi Kate –

I appreciate your letter as well as the Kelly family continued involvement
in the Cafritz question. I will try to address each of the valid concerns
you bring up.

1) Transparency
I too share your concerns and frustrations in regards to this and have done
what I can to keep the information that is available as part of the public
record. I realize realistically that only a small percentage of the town
will review the material but I will take the oversight of even one person
over none any day to ensure that we are doing our jobs effectively and with
integrity.

That being said, we have very little knowledge concerning Cafritz's
position and where they are willing to acquiesce on certain points; the
only positive corollary to this is, at this time, they do not know ours
either. If we kept these discussions public we effectively remove the
current level playing field and tilt every negotiation and discussion to
their favor. If we are to engage their team in a careful and deliberative
way we first must decide internally what our positions are and our method
of engagement going forward. By keeping these discussions as part of the
open record it would effectively be like going to buy a car from a
dealership where they already know what options are mandatory and what the
maximum price one is willing to pay – it guarantees you will only get the
bare minimum of what you want yet have to pay the maximum price; ie the
Town will always arrive at non-optimal outcomes due to the information
disparity between the two negotiating parties.

The danger with this is that it leaves the public in the dark concerning
what we are going to do with the Cafritz team and people are left to their
own imaginations. There is not much we can do to ameliorate this other than
to say our positions will be readily known by both Cafritz and the Town in
the near-term.

2) Local Benefit/Cost
I would be happy any time to have an open dialogue concerning the benefits
of the property as well as your concerns and objections. The property value
increase and inclusion of Whole Foods as a tenant are only of ancillary
interest to me and not why I support MU-TC zoning for this site. I realize
in the end we are both running our own cost benefit analyses and arriving
at different conclusions which are hard to reconcile. Regardless of the
disparity in our positions, I think it is important that your concerns are
heard and incorporated into the direction of the project as appropriate.

3) Grocery Store Development
I share your concerns that we properly characterize the development and
have attempted to do so in any of my public comments. I for one, am looking
at the property not only in the totality of its own development, but how it
fits in with the M-Square build-outs, the Route 1 Expansion, our Town
Center, the future East Campus development, and integration with the
nascent Purple Line.

4) Traffic
As with any negotiation, everything is initially on the table by both
sides. Vehicular access to Maryland/Rhode Island has not been demanded by
the developer nor offered, or likely to be supported, by the Town. What has
been discussed and ultimately likely to be demanded through covenant with
the Town, is a vehicular crossing over CSX to connect the M-Square
development, metro accessibility, and encourage the use of Kenilworth over
Rt1.

I believe the comments at the Work Session were probably made by myself,
and if so I would like to clarify my position. When I spoke in regards to
the access it was only for Police, Fire, shuttle/bus traffic in a similar
fashion as Queens Chapel off Rt 1. I would like a shuttle running every
10-15 minutes during peak times (morning, lunch, evening) that would do a
loop from Town Center, through the Cafritz Property, up to the CP metro
with stops on River Road for the M-Square Development.

The developer has not offered a cogent traffic mitigation strategy to date
but this does not mean the Town will abdicate its responsibilities. We are
having SHA come speak to us this month to address the current traffic
issues on Rt 1 and EW Highway. In addition, with the expansion of Dumm's
Market we will be looking at the overall traffic flow in the
Lafayette/Rhode Island, Queensbury area.

Again, I appreciate your continued involvement and hope that although our
core positions may differ on the property, that you stay highly engaged and
involved. I tried to communicate at least my position to each concern with
the information we have to-date. I am happy to provide any additional
clarity at any time and apologize for any miscommunication, especially in
regards to point #4.

Best,

Jonathan