[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 62, Issue 6

Euniverz at aol.com Euniverz at aol.com
Fri Sep 9 23:03:53 UTC 2011

COC/Keeper;

I cannot speak to why elected officials get elected/reelected if they are
not in total compliance with the law, although I suspect it's because we
don't  know whether they are in compliance or not.  In this county,  however,
it happens a lot; far more than I ever realized.  The county,  including the
county attorneys, is now dealing with a lawsuit that alleges  they are
almost constantly in violation of the sunshine laws and many of  the county
commission meetings are in violation of the law.  I have heard  first hand that
the county council had a system by which they would rotate in  and out of one
of the councilmembers' offices in Upper Marlboro to "hold a  meeting";
since the office didn't have more than the number of council  members in the
room AT ANY ONE TIME (that would put them over the limit that  would invoke the
sunshine laws), they got away with holding meetings and  discussions that
should have been publicly available.

I too was dumbfounded by the blatant nose-thumbing.  It's very,  very
common.  I can't speak to any potential issues with the way Riverdale  Park
works, but violations occur in this county regularly.

By the way, the dismissiveness of your last paragraph was  disheartening.

Adrianne Lefkowitz
Madison Street

In a message dated 9/9/2011 8:00:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,