[RP TownTalk] Executive Session - Open & Closed Meetings

Jonathan W. Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Sat Sep 10 04:37:38 UTC 2011

Don –

I am a bit confused by your email.  If you would like to point out a
specific section that the Council has violated, I would be happy to address
it.  If you had been in attendance at the last work session or the last
legislative session I am sure you would have realized that many of us do in
fact have a basic understanding of contract law and what has been written in
the Charter and Code;  there were several resolutions and ordinances read in
and/or presented during those meetings to address Charter inconsistencies
that were so nuanced as to require official legal opinion.  I apologize if
you felt it inappropriate to quote Maryland rules and regulations – I was
attempting to address a question on the core legality of how and why
meetings may be legally closed;  our oath of office additionally requires us
to support and uphold the Constitution of the United States, the State of
Maryland, Prince George’s County, and our Town’s Charter.

I hope to see yourself and Melissa at both the next meeting for the Cafritz
special session as well as the Work Session and Legislative meetings to
ensure that your viewpoints are included in the public record.  In the three
months since I have taken my oath of office, I hope that my legislative
production illustrates that I do have an understanding of the Town Charter
and Code; if it does not, I am always open to suggestions and constructive
criticism.   I have included the Town’s regulations which I am sure you can
agree is completely consistent with the Maryland Open Meetings Act that I
previously included:

§ 204: Meetings of the Council

The council shall meet at least once a month. Special meetings may be called
for a

specific purpose upon request of the mayor or a majority of the council
members. All

meetings of the council shall be open to the public, and the rules of the
council shall provide

that residents of the town shall have a reasonable opportunity to be heard
at any meeting

in regard to any municipal question.

Nothing contained herein shall be construed to prevent the council from
holding an

executive session or acting as a special hearing body from which the public
is excluded, but

no ordinance, rule, or regulation shall be finally adopted at such an
executive session or

hearing.

Best,

Jonathan