[RP TownTalk] proposal for letter to Cafrtiz Development team

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 14:48:44 UTC 2011

Friends and neighbors,

I want to inform you that I have posted a document on the front page of the
town website http://www.riverdaleparkmd.info/ that is a proposal to the town
council for a letter to be sent to the Cafritz development team.  This
letter is an attempt to tell that team what the concerns and needs of
Riverdale Park are in order to move forward with the rezoning necessary for
Cafritz to locate a Whole Foods grocery, other businesses including an LA
Fitness, and other commercial and residential uses.

This proposal was informed, in part, by discussions at the executive session
I called for last Wednesday. My goal in calling that meeting included making
sure that all of the issues viewed as critical at this time, would be
addressed in the proposal, and that the letter would represent as much
consensus on the town’s concerns as is possible at this early date.

Let me be plane that I do not claim or believe that this proposal covers
every issue, or a true consensus, or anything more than a first of many
DEVELOPMENT. What this proposal hopefully will do, is move this process
forward. It now will be up to the council to either accept it as is, revise
it, or reject it and send something else. However, the time is clearly at
hand that the council needs to send the developer a statement of concerns as
the rezoning attempt progresses.

What’s next?

First please read and consider the proposal and then share your thoughts
with each other, the council and myself.

Next, on Thursday September 22 at 7:30 the Cafrtiz team will be back for a
presentation, listening and discussion session at Town Hall. This
development proposal  will be the only item on the agenda—no other town
business will be included.  By having this meeting now, with at least a
draft list of concerns and issues before our residents, I am hopeful that
this meeting will be more enlightening than simply repeating the meetings
that have already happened before our council and in nearby communities.

The proposal will be on the agenda and discussed in detail at our next
council work session on the 26th and hopefully a final statement/letter will
be acted on at our next Legislative meeting on October 3.

Sincerely,

Vern

 --
Vernon Archer, Mayor