[RP TownTalk] Jey's Auto

Jonathan W. Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Wed Sep 14 14:56:19 UTC 2011

Sue -

I would encourage you to stay involved and to make your voice heard.   The
history of our country shows that a single voice can and will make a
difference.  Political, business, or socio-economic standing does not
influence my choices or how I vote.  I try to govern by following the
examples my grandfather, Leonard W. McDonald  whom founded several of the
State of Utah's Pension Plans and was the Executive Director of the State
Retirement System for 25 years.  The biggest life lesson he taught me, and
one I try to employ every day, is that you treat everyone with the same
amount of respect and courtesy regardless of their position in life.
Everyone has a lesson to teach you and it is up to you to learn it.

I understand your frustrations with the process and hope that will not
discourage you in the future.  As has been stated, there is not a deal and
it is not anticipated that Jey will sell the property; the Town is actively
investigating our options to deal with a situation of economic blight.
That being said, there are very specific reasons why this path is being
investigated at Jey's vs. other properties.

1)      This property is a cornerstone of Riverdale Park and what will
either encourage or discourage future commercial re-vitalization along Route
1;

2)      There are Occupancy and Use issues at Jey's that do not exist with
Town Center or other commercial properties.  The M-U-TC committee, Town
Council, and Mayor have unanimously opposed a gas station at this site which
is the only supported use the owner will consider for Jey's Auto; Douglas
Development would support a wide variety of commercial enterprises that the
Town would support; the owners of the other buildings already demonstrate
that they are willing to lease out spaces to a myriad of commercial
interests;

3)      This is an issue of triage: the more immediate issue as hand is
Jey's; it is out of code, it has been an eyesore for years, and it is
unlikely to ever be brought back into code compliance.  The Douglas
Development buildings in Town Center, while vacant, have a property manager
that deals with code compliance issues on a timely basis;

4)      The Council is pursuing different avenues towards a Town Center
revitalization including investigating property tax structures that creates
a disincentive to keeping properties vacant.  At the last work session I
touched briefly on this;

This move is part of a new and holistic approach to economic development in
our town; this is one piece of a very complicated and complex puzzle and the
tools we use to address one situation are not applicable in others.  Please
keep in mind as well, I brought forward a Resolution at the last Legislative
meeting for the town to pursue an Arts and Entertainment District
designation.

Best,

Jonathan