[RP TownTalk] parking at EYA

Chris Currie crcurrie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:33:47 UTC 2011

That parking lot fills up on most evenings now.  Hyattsville city officials
foresaw the need for more parking back in the development review process for
Arts District Hyattsville, and former Mayor Gardiner spent quite a bit of
time and effort trying to secure partnerships and funding for a parking
garage on the east side.

However, it's never easy to afford structured parking, and when the
recession hit, I think that killed any serious continuing effort on that
project.  Whether a site still exists in EYA's master plan or whether it's
been re-programmed, I don't know.  In any case, given the permanent
financial crisis at every level of government and the near-impossibility of
building a parking garage on that site entirely with private funding, I
think it's a pipe dream at this point.

I've been curious to see where overflow parking will go -- whether patrons
of the Shoppes will head south to the municipal lot at Franklins (which also
often fills up) or whether they'll start cruising the residential
neighborhoods west of Rte. 1.  I do see a lot of people walking down
Jefferson St. on weekend evenings, but I can't tell if all of those are
local residents walking to the Shoppes or if there are car commuters among
them.

Probably another issue that Riverdale Park and University Park residents
should be thinking about now with respect to the Cafritz development,
because given the developers' demonstrated focus on maximizing density on
the site, it's a pretty sure bet that they'll put in as little parking as
they can get away with.  On that issue, though, I'm sure Whole Foods will be
a powerful negotiator -- and undoubtedly they'll want acres of parking.

Chris Currie
Hyattsville

Message: 3