[RP TownTalk] Tonight's Work Session Item on the Cafritz Project

Kate Kelly mrs.ahkelly at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 15:47:02 UTC 2011

Here is a copy of the letter I sent this morning to the mayor and members of
the council:

My opposition the Cafritz group’s request for rezoning of the Calvert tract
is well known. As you prepare your letter to the developer, please consider
these points:

 ·  What exactly does the town stand to gain from this development? So far,
all we’ve heard about is the possibility of envy for our upscale retail. The
$11 million in annual tax revenue is an interesting number, but where did it
come from? What kind of taxes are we talking about: federal corporate income
taxes? state sales taxes? local property taxes? And to what degree would
that *revenue offset* the additional expense to the town? Where are the
data?

·       The town should pursue a *homesteader’s tax credit* to ensure that
property taxes on current Riverdale Park residences are not increased to pay
for the new development.

·       Shouldn’t the *astonishingly sparse details* in the plan be
considered a deal stopper at this point? If the town agrees to the zoning
change—no matter what replaces the R55 designation—we will have ceded
control to the developer. The best we’ll be able to hope for is to negotiate
a slightly less awful outcome.

· Contrary to the developer’s assertions, we are not “early in the process.”
Cafritz needs to have this move forward now to beat the plans for the *East
Campus project*, which will be a direct competitor in virtually every
aspect. That means it must have the zoning change before the end of 2011 so
it can start clearing the land in the spring of 2012.

·  Will access on Maryland Avenue help or hurt the town center? Will it
become just another *commuter shortcut*?

·  A *serious market analysis* is called for. What has been the experience
of the truly locally owned businesses in Hyattsville since the opening of
the EYA project? How, for example, has the vacuum cleaner repair store been
affected? Has anyone asked?

· If you cannot guarantee that *Tuckerman and Sheridan Streets* west of the
bike path will never be opened to connect to Maryland Avenue, we’d like to
know that right now. Not too long ago we were assured that extending
Maryland Avenue was not a possibility.

· How will isolating the *farmer’s market* in the new development benefit
its established customer base?

· Isn’t it ironic that the *solar decathlon* is in process at West Potomac
Park? Did you know that one team has formed a partnership with Habitat for
Humanity to donate its house to a resident of the Deanwood neighborhood of
Northeast Washington, D.C.? http://parsit.parsons.edu/our-house/. Where’s
the real *leadership on sustainability*? How can we let this opportunity
pass to demand a real difference? As it is the plan will be *exactly like
EYA* and all the other places just like it everywhere else.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. We should request a lot more than a
donated ambulance.

Thanks for your attention,

Kate Kelly