[RP TownTalk] What grocery store?

Chris Currie crcurrie at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 13:21:46 UTC 2012

Lou, I apologize for my poor choice of words in opening my post yesterday
(I blame my day job as a marketing consultant for my reflexive tendency to
use provocative opening lines).  I didn't mean to imply that Cafritz is
planning to bring in a different tenant -- although I can easily see why
the use of the term 'bait and switch' left that impression.

I'm sure both Cafritz and Whole Foods desire to bring their agreement (a
lease, according to Alan, not a letter of intent or MOU) to fruition.

The point I was trying to make is that once the rezoning occurs, then it is
much less necessary for Cafritz to have Whole Foods as their anchor tenant.
 Whole Foods holds most of the cards up to that point; afterwards, Cafritz
holds a stronger hand than before.

Another reader also provided me with the text of a covenant stipulation
made with both Riverdale Park and University Park that requires Cafritz to
provide a specialty grocery store "comparable to" Whole Foods if, for
whatever reason, the Whole Foods deal doesn't materialize.  That provides
another layer of protection for those who are banking on an upscale grocery
to make the development palatable to them.

Of course, no agreement is completely iron-clad.  Reality is too
complicated to work that way.  If market conditions led Cafritz to bring in
a "specialty grocery store" that didn't meet a yuppie's definition of
"comparable to" Whole Foods in product offerings, service levels, etc.,
then it is hard to imagine the Town of Riverdale Park litigating that in
court -- or what the result would be.  Or how the development would benefit
the Town if the retail pad remained empty because no suitable grocery could
be enticed to open there.  Or what would happen if Whole Foods or another
upscale grocer made a go of it, and after five years, when the covenant
restriction ends, left town.

My argument from the beginning of the discussion about the Cafritz proposal
is that the development should stand or fall on its merits apart from
single-brand marketing.  Some people make reasonable arguments that it
does; others make a reasonable case that it doesn't.  I have my own views,
which are colored by the fact that I live in a neighboring municipality and
will not be as affected by the proximate impacts on nearby residents or on
the Town of Riverdale Park and its municipal finances.  I won't belabor
readers of this listserv with those views at this time since they are
probably of less interest than the question this thread started with.

Chris Currie
Hyattsville

Message: 2