[RP TownTalk] Cafritz Vote

Nina Faye ns_faye at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 17:28:07 UTC 2012

Sue and Melissa, I agree with many of your points.  I do not know the elected folks in Riverdale Park; we live in Hyattsville.  I certainly know how many of our elected people acted and spoke during our extensive development.  UTC is a poorly planned mess from my perspective and that of many of my fellow residents.  With EYA, many of us repeatedly spoke before our Council of the need for adequate parking in the early, middle, and late planning stages.  Guess what?  Now everyone is scrambling to try to create more parking.  We told them there wasn't enough planned and that it would fail without adequate parking.  We were told that everyone would walk and ride bikes.  I was proEYA because I had worked in downtown Silver Spring when that EYA project was built.  Hyattsville did not get that aesthetic or quality, partially, I have been told, because our elected officials kept meddling.  We begged for traffic studies and traffic remediation.  We
 were ignored until it was too late.  As to county politicians, haven't we all been reading about developers, kickbacks, payoffs, and fraud in the newspapers for years?  I am certainly not accusing or implying anything about anyone involved in this deal, but the climate in the county has led to cynicism on the entire topic.  The increased traffic from UTC and PG Plaza Metro development has been a nightmare for us.  There are business vacancies at EYA, UTC, and College Park.  I would like a Whole Foods near by, but what they are insisting on, as I understand it, is a huge parking lot along Route 1--awful.  The rest is too much density, and it is NOT a short walk to Metro.  Anyway, ladies I agree with you.  Early this morning I e-mailed Campos what I thought of his vote.