[RP TownTalk] Cut-throughs/development

Jonathan W. Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Tue Jul 10 20:47:04 UTC 2012

And yesterday it was also stated that this plan clearly violates the master
plan which in the analysis I wrote up and worked with Alan Thompson on and
was vetted by 10+ attorneys, clearly indicates that it does not.  All
throughout the hearing Councilmembers stated that the property was a 2.5
mile drive to the CP metro - which it is not unless you wind around town in
circles.  Yesterday it was also stated that the center of the property is .8
miles from the CP metro which 'is not transit-oriented development.'  Yet in
other statements the CMs call the East Campus development 'transit oriented
development' although the center of that property is the same distance to
the metro.  Grandstanding and public posturing does not a fact make.

I am hazarding a guess based upon the information at hand.  I am not the
developer and do not control what they will or will not build.  I am basing
that guess off sitting in presentations, meetings and the negotiating table
for hundreds of hours.  I suspect they will build the first 120k sq. feet of
retail.  I also suspect that they will build the townhomes in phase I.  I
think it is highly probable that one of the 3 residential buildings is built
within the first 5 years.  All that being said what is ultimately built,
including the rest of the retail/commercial and the full residential is 100%
determined by the success or failure of the project.  If people demand
places to live there and it's a smashing financial success they will build
every square foot and every residential unit they legally can.  But no one,
including the developer can guarantee the ultimate outcome good or bad.  In
large part it is up to all of us to craft a project that has the best
possible chance of success and then ultimately up to consumers on whether or
not they view the commercial opportunities as a place they want to spend
their hard-earned money at and potential home-buyers as a place they want to
live.

University Park is not the only school that potentially serves the district.
More to this point we have been attempting to attract interest from charter
schools.  I am sure many of us have noticed by now that there are arguments
over everything regardless of the sentiment.