[RP TownTalk] Cut-throuhs/development

Alan K. Thompson akthompson at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Wed Jul 11 01:48:05 UTC 2012

Sue,

Yesterday afternoon the District Council approved rezoning of the property
(with conditions).  The next step in the *standard* process would be
submission of a "Preliminary Plan of Subdivision" (which is where the
layout of the streets would happen, among other things).  One of the
conditions attached to the rezoning, however (#14 on page 90, available at
http://www.mncppcapps.org/planning/PlanningBoardAgenda/02-16-2012/Item4C_PGCPB_12_09.pdf--
labeled as "draft" but I received a printed copy of the adopted
resolution in the mail and the conditions are the same) the applicant
*must*submit a "Revised Traffic scoping agreement and Impact Study."
(Without
this submission the Preliminary Plan cannot be accepted by staff and the
project will just wait, which the Cafritz team does not want to happen).

It is mandatory that the submitted Impact Study (14.c.5) "Analyzes the
impact of the development on the intersections as specified in the scoping
agreement and those in the July 27, 2011 study, as well as the *evaluation
of the existing prevailing conditions and traffic impact of the development
on Queensbury Road, existing Maryland Avenue, Rhode Island Avenue south of
Town Center, Lafayette Avenue, Natoli Place, River Road, and other roads as
appropriate*."  (Emphasis mine).

With this Impact Study in hand, we will know, with much more certainty than
we do now, what the traffic will look like and what we need to do to
control it.  It is my understanding that this Impact Study is almost
complete, and we will probably have it within a week or two.

Alan Thompson