[RP TownTalk] Town Talk vs. Town Announce

Jonathan W. Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Mon Jun 4 12:37:06 UTC 2012

All -

There has been some discussions concerning whether it makes sense to keep
the Town Government's postings (ordinances, agendas, schedules of meetings
etc.) segregated on a separate Town Announce.  I would like others in town
to opine on this issue.

For my own two cents:  I found it odd and inefficient when I moved into town
that there were multiple lists to sign up for and also to monitor.  Although
I am signed up with Town Announce as well as Town Talk, I rarely view it.
If I want to see meeting schedules etc. I normally just look at the town's
website.  I monitor Town Talk daily as well as other blogs and notice that
Hyattsville for one seems to be able to post their general government
information without issue.

I have heard arguments that some of the postings "clutter up inboxes."  I
think the same can be said on many of the postings.  There are some postings
that are of interest to people and they read them, and some that are not.
On any given "heated' topic there tends to be numerous postings concerning
it.  Is this any more or less of an issue?  Also, a direct solution to that
is to change personal settings to only receive an email once daily that
includes all the posts vs. individual emails per posting.

Kate Kelly currently posts everything from Town Announce on Town Talk so it
does beg the question of if we shouldn't just revisit the overall policy
question and have the town do it as part of our procedure.

Thoughts?  Comments?

Jonathan W. Ebbeler | Councilman - Ward One

Town of Riverdale Park