[RP TownTalk] Town Talk and Town Announce

Lou King lking at knob.com
Mon Jun 4 18:29:31 UTC 2012

There are pros and cons for both combining and keeping the two list
separate. One group that may not have considered are those that receive
one or both list by daily digest. And of course those that chose to only
receive the official TownAnnounce and do not want to interact here will
not be heard from until they are inundated with TownTalk just to get the
official info. (the keeper of the list could compare the two to see if
there is such a sub set.) We all have valid reasons for how we choose to
utilize our time.

As Sarah points out if combined, some other method would be needed to
delineate the official posting from others. That distinction is now made
by the TownAnnounce source. But of course without monitoring by our
moderator anyone could spoof "OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION FROM ..." Off hand
I can't think of a reason why. But someone with an axe to grind will
think of a reason.

Perhaps the answer to trying to keep the public informed is to make the
available channels more visible, a continuing challenge. No matter how
hard you try there is always some to say 'How was I to know?'

My vote is to keep they separate. Why have one channel that everything
is dumped into? As already noted, some just use the delete button. With
only one source the tendency is to hit the delete button to quickly.
That's why people use spam filters to help manage the deluge of email we
receive, sorting the information from the rest.

As for the PDF format of TownAnnounce, that format is a logical pick
from a technical stand point.  That approach does make it easier, less
time consuming, for town staff to update the current list of meetings
using whatever tool/word process they choose, and then presenting the
information in an understandable, visually pleasing, non-proprietary
format accessible to all.

However, As my tag line would suggest, I do agree with Liz about
non-text email.

Lou
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop HTML mail - www.asciiribbon.org