[RP TownTalk] Early Voting Starts Tomorrow, Saturday, March 24th!

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 14:35:00 UTC 2012

Electioneering, as I understand it, refers to campaigning or advocating for
a particular candidate or position (such as on a ballot referendum issue).
 It does not include non-partisan announcements that serve an informational
function.  E.g., reminders of an upcoming election, voter registration
deadlines, or the deadline for registering as a candidate in a local
election would not fall under "electioneering."  In short, if it's
something the League of Women Voters would do, it promotes civic
participation but is not electioneering.

The first two online dictionary definitions that come up:

   1. *electioneering*present participle of* e·lec·tion·eer*
      Verb:(of a politician or political campaigner) Take part actively and
      energetically in the activities of an election campaign.
      More info
»<https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS358US358&q=electioneer&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=v9ltT8vRFsPe0gH0wYDoBg&ved=0CCgQkQ4>
      Merriam-Webster<https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/electioneering&sa=X&ei=v9ltT8vRFsPe0gH0wYDoBg&ved=0CCkQkg4oAA&usg=AFQjCNGU0o_bZL6LFbPNTZh_ZQUwzqwx4w>
       - The Free
Dictionary<https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.thefreedictionary.com/electioneering&sa=X&ei=v9ltT8vRFsPe0gH0wYDoBg&ved=0CCoQkg4oAQ&usg=AFQjCNES9Tasx-AiDg0N9PQ-PE8tKgi8wQ>
      1. *electioneering* - *definition* of *electioneering* by the Free
   Online *...* <http://www.thefreedictionary.com/electioneering>
   www.thefreedictionary.com/*electioneering*
   e·lec·tion·eer ( -l k sh -nîr ). intr.v. e·lec·tion·eered,
   e·lec·tion·eer·ing, e·lec·tion·eers. To work actively for a candidate or
   political party.

Dwight Holmes
TownTalk Moderator