[RP TownTalk] new restaurant - The Royal Palm Caribbean

Rob Oppenheim oppenheim at email.com
Sun May 13 03:46:14 UTC 2012

I returned to the Royal Palm Caribbean Cafe to see their Friday night event.
(Located on Route One, about 3 blocks south of E-W highway, at 6033
Baltimore
Ave, in the old Subway sandwich shop).

They had a table with free veggie slices and dip. Also on display were some
flat bread sandwiches (including a cheese and spinach for vegetarians).
No loud music - just food and people talking and ESPN on TV.

The "Royal Palm Caribbean American Restaurant & Bakery" is still getting
started
so the menu is not complete and is a bit confusing. The owner, Maurice,
speaks
with a heavy (but fun) Jamaican accent, that can be hard to understand
at times.
But hey, the food is authentic Caribbean.

I've tried the Jerk Chicken and the Curry Chicken. Both were good. About
$10 ea.
I also sampled the Ox Tail - it was good too - tender and beef like.

The chick peas with cabbage was superb. The chicken curry is nice and
fairly mild
(but still - its a curry so expect a little heat).

The dishes are served 'Caribbean style' with the meat, bones and skin
all chopped
up together.  Expect to work a bit at getting to the meat.

They say they use free range poultry and organic produce. They make
their own
breads and cup cakes. Most items are made all-natural from scratch, but
some
were clearly canned - like the green beans and fruit salad. Sadly, its
all served in
Styrofoam.

There were lots of side options and they looked both healthy and nicely
spiced:
tomato cucumber salad, pasta-zucchini salad (very good), cabbage with mixed
veggies, plantains, corn, dirty rice & beans, white rice, fruit salad,
green beans,
sometimes other items like spiced yams, chick peas etc..

In addition to the home-made spiced carrot juice (which I highly recommend)
is another Caribbean delicacy: Sorrel juice (also known as Florida
cranberry).
Some say it has great health benefits. I don't know about that but it is
delicious.

Ask for a sample of anything.

I asked Maurice for a TownTalk discount, so bring in this email and get
20% off during May.

If you want to save money for a Friday nite, then stop in during the
week and get
a 'vip wrist band' good for 35% off after 6pm Friday.

There is plenty of parking. They have a few inside tables (with
tablecloths) and some
outside tables, or get it to go. They deliver too.

Open very late - Midnight on weekdays and 3am on Fri/Sat. Also open 6am
for breakfast.
(Maurice must not be sleeping much these days).
Mon-Thur: 6am-Midnight   Fri-Sat: 6am-3am   Sun: 6am-10pm

301-887-1030  301-887-1031

www.facebook.com/pages/Royal-Palm/136618503136868

www.theroyalpalm.org

P.S. Just to be clear - I am writing about the Royal Palm Caribbean cafe
because it is new
and largely unknown - and not to endorse it over any of our other
wonderful local restaurants.

I should really cross post this to the HOPE list, but geez, I am getting
tired.

-