[RP TownTalk] Accessible playground

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 16:52:25 UTC 2013

While I'm completely overbooked right now, and thus cannot spearhead this,
I am CERTAIN that there's a need. What kind of evidence would you need? I
attend a parent support group for kids with disabilities at the U of MD on
Saturdays during the school year. That group has an associated listserv
with 388 subscribers. I could ask there.

An accessible, sensory-friendly playground would have made it *possible*
for us to go to the playground when our kids were little. As it was, I had
to go at times when other kids weren't there so I could keep track of my
kids (one of them was a runner!).

Here's an article from the Washington Post on the topic:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-parenting/post/sensory-friendly-
playgrounds-in-the-dc-region/2011/06/01/AGR6fSNH_blog.html

And I went to find the piece on NPR after reading your post. There were two
of them - one from yesterday and one from today. Here are links to those
stories, for those who are interested.

http://www.npr.org/2013/08/27/213827534/for-kids-with-special-needs-more-places-to-play
http://www.npr.org/2013/08/28/214831473/new-accessible-playground-rules-may-not-go-far-enough

-Sarah

Sarah Wayland   |   www.GuidingExceptionalParents.com
Supporting students with learning differences and their families