[RP TownTalk] State of Maryland Property Tax Assessment

Alan K. Thompson akthompson at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Sun Jan 6 21:36:51 UTC 2013

As the sponsor of the 2012-CR-03 charter amendment, I must object to the
characterization that it is "raising the debt ceiling."  2012-CR-03
clarifies how the Town would exercise powers granted to us by the State
should we choose to go forward with special taxing districts.  Without this
amendment the Town would either (1) pay a higher rate on a loan taken out
under a special taxing district (because of the financial community's
distaste for uncertainty) or (2) issue bonds under our general obligation
authority that should rightly be paid for by a special taxing district.

I would also like to note that the Town is currently borrowing well within
our authority (we are authorized to borrow up to $11.7 million, based on
the old assesments, and have around $3 million currently on the books).
 Even with the decrease in residential properties you mention we are far,
far away from the ceiling.

Alan K. Thompson
Ward 2 Town Council Representative and Chair, Finance Committee
Town of Riverdale Park