[RP TownTalk] Relocating to area

Alan K. Thompson webmaster at ci.riverdale-park.md.us
Wed Jan 9 15:59:33 UTC 2013

Hi Jim,

Thanks for writing!  I'm glad you are considering moving here - I fell in
love with this town when I was looking for houses almost 20 years ago and
am glad I made the decision to live here.

As someone who is very involved in the negotiations (I'm on the town
council) I can tell you that the Cafritz project is definitely still up in
the air.  We are currently on a tight deadline (a few weeks) for the next
hurdle, the "Preliminary Plan of Subdivision," and a lot of questions that
need to be answered haven't been, in particular a couple of questions about
the location of and funding for a bridge over the railroad tracks.
 Assuming the PPS is approved and the bridge questions are settled, the
next next major hurdle will be actually getting funding for the bridge and
the detailed site plan process, so groundbreaking may be up to a year away.
 Contact me off-list if you want a LOT of detail about the whole project
and process.

My wife worked in DC for many years, and commuted on the MARC train (as a
lot of people do).  It's about a 10-minute ride to Union Station, which is
great if you work near there (she did).  Other parts of DC take a little
more time to get to, but there are a lot of residents who do it.  Some of
my nearby neighbors take the green line into DC, and while the walk to the
College Park metro station is a little longer than ideal (15-20 minutes),
it is manageable.  Some people also bike into DC from town.

While it's a bit out on the horizon, we are also hopeful that the new
Purple Line will be built sometime in the next 5-10 years; it will pass
through the northern part of town.  It won't be going into DC but will
provide options for getting to Silver Spring and Bethesda.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions!

Alan