[RP TownTalk] Relocating to area

Aaron Marcavitch acornhp at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 16:24:45 UTC 2013

I'll jump in for a second on the transportation question.  As a regional booster of all things tourism, economic development, and such - that includes transportation.  I would second the comments about College Park Metro.  Its going to be a better choice than fighting over to PG Plaza.  Bike, walk or drive the secret back way and its a quick trip.  The Trolley Trail that Dwight references below is getting moving, but my word from MNCPPC is that there are some issues related to clearing titles to all the parcels.  Part of it is built behind the new EYA development in Hyattsville and as far as I know the part in Riverdale park is clear.  There are just some weird bits in Hyattsville.  With that trail, you can access everything points south.  The big hiccup is going to be the timing of Cafritz.  I've ridden the route to College Park and its doable if you have a good mountain bike.  The other bike trail coming online is the extension into DC.
 You will be able to pick up the northeast branch in Riverdale and ride all the way to Barney Circle in DC and then on-road bike paths to downtown.  You could technically ride to West Hyattsville, but you might as well use College Park if you are open to riding bikes.

Buses are plentiful and the MARC is a great resource.  (Glad to hear it has picked up the pace on ridership.)

I'm thrilled to see anyone moving into the area - Riverdale or otherwise - and I hope you take a look at our website (http://www.marylandmilestones.org/) for more regional information.

Aaron Marcavitch
Executive Director
Maryland Milestones/ATHA Inc.

<QUOTE>

As for Cafritz, I'm going to bow out on this one and anticipate that our town councilman Jonathan Ebbeler will give us an update, in response to your question.  I, for one, certainly hope and anticipate that it will move forward but there are no doubt bumps in the road ahead, and I'm sure that delays are the rule rather than the exception. I wouldn't expect to go shopping up there before 2016, but that's just me. Let's see what Jonathan says!  ( We're still waiting on our trolley trail bike line (that will connect Franklin's, Busboys & Poets and points south to our town center and then on to College Park and points north) which has been under discussion since we moved here and is now all approved and budgeted and put out for bids - hopefully that will get done once the weather breaks in the Spring. )

Dwight Holmes